Every day we face with dozen tickets in Jira and searching for the proper issue is not an easy task. We face duplicates, and tickets that someone else has already submitted. So, as a result, users often need to find duplicates in Jira to prevent confusion.
To prevent the needless job you should try to make sure that the issues you report are not duplicates. Otherwise, those bugs will be closed or will create a mess in tasks.
How to Find Duplicates in Jira?
Using Find Duplicates add-on for Jira you can easily simplify your work and save your time.
- Start to search from Open and Closed issues.
Closed issues have crossed out issue keys. You can select how a list of duplicated issues will appear with “Issue Appearance” customization.
- Filter – try unique keywords. Some common words (such as issue, problem, solution, good, component, etc.) are automatically excluded. Use the “Words to ignore during duplicates search” field to exclude frequently used words.
- Try different keywords in the title – the whole title or title with the main area.
- To narrow down the results search by Issue type (Bug, Task, etc) or/and within the same project. Customize “Always search for duplicates within the same issue type” and check “Always search for duplicates within the same project” in the add-on configuration.
- To use filtering and browser search together check “Keep browser’s auto-suggest list on issue creation” in the configuration. It will be easier to use filtering and browser search together. If there are more keywords to try and you have not found a duplicate yet then keep trying different keywords in the browser search.
- To keep an eye on duplicates use the “Show ‘Potential Duplicates’ panel on each issue page” option and the “Use plug-in’s Quick Issue Search in Jira header search box” option to have the ability to search for the right task.
- Looking at the title is not enough and it is better to read the description or look at the video and screenshots. Open issue duplicates in a new window by customized the “Open issue duplicates in a new window” checkbox. It is necessary to use keywords and open all similar suggested issues.
- If you find an already existing issue include a link to the old issue with the next steps: open issues, click Link on one of the issues,s and click on a plus icon to link the relevant task.
To read more about linking an issue in our documentation here.
To try a free trial of FindDuplicates on Marketplace.